The basic principle behind a healthy diet is to simply have all variety of foods. As different varieties of foods constitute different nutritional contributions it is important for a healthy living. A healthy diet should contain vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes. Foods items that are rich in carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fiber, and food items that are low in fat, and free from cholesterol helps to keep you fit and healthy. A well balanced diet composed of healthy and diverse foods is the key to promote good health.
You should be able to maintain a balance between calorie intake and calorie expenditure. Don’t eat more than what your body can utilize or else, you will gain weight.
Following a balanced diet does not mean that you have to give up your favorite foods items. If you are strictly following a well balanced diet which is rich in nutrients, minerals, vitamins and fiber, then there is nothing wrong in having your favorite food items occasionally. Try to limit the consumption of such foods, and try to eat them in small amounts. A healthy diet need not contain foods that are unpleasant and tasteless.
The following points have to be considered while developing a healthy diet:
- Eat foods that are rich in fiber especially vegetables, fruits, pulses and whole grains. These are highly nutritious and relatively low in calories. These food items meet the requirement of dietary fiber you need each day. Such foods items also provide important minerals, vitamins, and phytochemicals.
- Try to make sure whether green leafy vegetables and citrus fruits such as broccoli, spinach, cantaloupe, carrots, orange, grapes etc. The antioxidants present in these foods may help helps you to protect against cancer and other diseases.
- Limit the consumption of sweets and other sugary items as they are rich in fats.
- Avoid or limit the consumption of animal fat as it is high in saturated fat, which raises blood cholesterol levels.
- Avoid the consumption of trans fat foods that are high in hydrogenated vegetable oils used in all most all the processed foods.
- Add more nuts and fish in your diet as they are rich in healthy unsaturated fats.
- Eat a wide variety of foods. Then only you will get different kinds of nutrition. More over it will limit your exposure to any toxic substances that may be present in one particular food.
Avoid Taking Supplements
Do not depend on supplements. Try to get your vitamins and minerals from foods. Supplements cannot provide you a healthy diet.
Eat Calcium and Iron Rich Foods
Calcium and iron rich foods help in the formation of strong bones and teeth.
Drink Alcohol in Moderation
Avoid or limit the consumption of alcohol. The average drink for men is two per day and for women it less than one standard drink.
Drink As Much Water As You Can
Drinking water helps to eliminate wastes from the body and it increases the metabolic rate of your body. More over it helps to burn excess calories in your body.
Don’t Skip Your Breakfast
Skipping your breakfast generally reduces the nutrition level in your body especially in children.